Projects
  Awards
  Clients
  Contact
  Resources
Return to Argus home page
  Argus Architecture & Preservation, P.C.   297 River St. Suite 303 Troy, NY 12180
        Preservation Projects
       
Before Photo

The Ausable Club, Keene Valley, NY

The National Register 1890 Clubhouse is one of only two 19th century resort hotels still extant in the Adirondacks, owned, operated and preserved by a private club since 1906. The roofing rehabilitation project includes complete replacement of recent (but failed) asphalt roofing systems on the Clubhouse and the Casino buildings & associated work. Design included life cycle cost analysis for 3 roofing systems, including returning to the original metal roof (with Kynar or zinc-coated copper). Roof replacement began August 2012 (completion June 2013). The Casino renovation project (Phase 1 complete) is a complete interior renovation and upgrading of the historic “playhouse” for expanded uses including adding a full service kitchen, toilets, heating, fireplace, acoustical improvements, electrical upgrade with new lighting system and restoration of interior finishes.

(2009-ongoing, The Ausable Club)

   
Morrill Hall
Sibley Hall Dome

Cornell University - Roof Replacement , Ithaca, NY

Assessment and develop conceptual design options to replace and/or repair failed or deteriorated roofing systems at Morrill Hall (1868), White Hall (1869), and Sibley Dome (1902) - three of the original arts quad buildings, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Morrill and White Halls (Cornell’s first and second buildings) originally had complete slate roofs and now have a combination of slate and modified bitumen. Sibley Hall Dome retains essentially the original galvanized sheet metal on a steel frame. Scope included an assessment of the deteriorated roofs, identification of the original roofing system and what other options might be appropriate; with respect to appearance, performance, and cost. Concept design and budgets were prepared, reviewed with stakeholders for each building, and the three projects have been included in the University's Capital Planning for the near future.

(2012 - ongoing, Cornell University)

 

Before Photo

Rouses Point Museum & Visitor Center, Rouses Point, NY

Complete rehabilitation and renovation of the abandoned 1889 Richardsonian Romanesque former D&H Railroad Station at the Amtrak border-crossing stop at Rouses Point. The station will serve as a welcome center, a museum displaying local history, offices for the Town Historian and the Historical Society and a repository for the Historical Society's and the Historian's collections, including climate-controlled archival space. The building has suffered considerable deterioration, including significant stone, brick masonry and slate roof deterioration, as well as alterations. Project is currently under construction.

(2010-2013, Erdman Anthony, New York State Department of Transportation and The Village of Rouses Point)

   

H.W. Sage House, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

The large and complex 1880 mansion of a former Cornell president (now Cornell University Press offices) exhibits a host of deterioration problems due to original design conditions, water infiltration, soils and aging. Argus’ detailed Envelope Assessment addressed all needed exterior repairs, including stone masonry, original wood and stained glass windows, historic skylights, delicate woodwork and stucco decoration, flat-seam metal and slate roofing systems, and associated site work. Phase 1 design construction of the complete envelope from the eave line upwards was completed in 2012. Phase 2 for the exterior envelope from the roof eaves down and site work is anticipated for 2014.

(2009-ongoing, Cornell University)

 

Risley Hall Tower, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

The 1912 Prudence Risley Hall (historic women’s dormitory) has several periods of partial and failed brick repointing, deteriorating parapets and turrets, cracks and deterioration in limestone, roof leaks and other masonry envelope deterioration. The Phase 1 project recently completed - the masonry and roof rehabilitation of the nearly 100’ tall Tower of the building - addressed the area of the most urgent work and also will serve as the template for overall rehabilitation of Risley Hall’s masonry. Construction completion (Tower): November 2011.

(2010-ongoing, Cornell University)

 

West Point Middle School, US Military Academy, West Point, NY

Argus is the preservation consultant for the expansion and rehabilitation of the Middle School, consulting on all aspects of the project related to the original 1934 building, which is a contributing building in the NHL District. Argus’ scope of services includes conditions assessment, SHPO review coordination, and design consultation throughout the project. The scope of work for the historic building includes stone and brick masonry repairs, replacement of current (non-historic) windows with blast-resistant and historically appropriate windows, interior alterations, egress, seismic and building systems upgrading, and preservation of historic interior finishes and components. Project has started construction.

(2010 - ongoing, Woolpert, Inc. for USDoD)

 

Lake Champlain Visitor Center, Crown Point, NY

Rehabilitation and renovation of the 1929 former Crown Point Bridge toll collector's house. Project scope included site improvements, complete exterior and interior rehabilitation, including partitions, finishes & MEP. Phase 1- restoration of the black slate roof - was completed in 2008, the major rehabilitation in 2009. Only repairs to the shake siding and exterior painting remain to be completed.

(2007, 2008 - 2010, Lake Champlain Visitor Center & Essex County)

 

Sacred Heart Church, Bennington, VT

Argus executed a complete assessment of the slate roof of the historic 10,000 SF church and uncovered critical flaws in flashing design that were responsible for significant deterioration of the building’s stone walls. Phased rehabilitation of the roof was recommended. Phase 1 (2008) included partial slate replacement, redesign of faulty parapet joints, and replacement of failed cap flashings around the building. Phase 2 continued typical repairs, slate replacement and corrective redesign of flashings as well as restoring LCC siding on the gables, completing the parapet work, wood trim repairs and the repair and reinstallation of a large copper cross earlier removed from the south gable.

(2009, Ryan-Biggs Associates & Sacred Heart St. Frances de Sales Church)

 

Hills House, Albany International Airport, Latham, NY:

Relocation & restoration for commercial use of a c.1805 farmhouse, a 1790s timber-framed barn, and two hole privy required to be removed from the Albany International Airport runway zone. Services also included negotiations and preparation of the Memorandum of Agreement with SHPO to retain the property on the National Register, and related coordination with the Keeper of the National Register and the FAA. The project had to meet the requirements of FAA, The Hills House received the 2009 Historic Preservation Project of the Year Award for both New York State and the Capital Branch of the American Public Works Association, and a 2011 Preservation Initiative Award from the Historic Albany Foundation

(2009, Albany County Airport Authority)

Recently opened as the Tailored Tea restaurant.

 

Watervliet Arsenal, Watervliet, NY:

Argus first prepared an Assessment of the extensive limestone masonry deterioration at the 1843 limestone Barracks at the National Historic Landmark Arsenal -including inspection, analysis of causes, strategies for conservation and repair, and prioritization of work. (2007-08) Subsequently, Argus designed repairs for the Barracks, for phased implementation, as well as preparing smaller projects on two additional historic buildings and sections of the historic stone boundary wall of the Arsenal (construction 2011). Repairs to the stone masonry of two additional 1843 buildings, including the Commandant’s quarters, will also be based on the solutions developed for the Barracks.

(2008 - ongoing, Army Corps of Engineers, Malcolm Pirnie, Inc.,& Plumb Engineering)

 

MacNaughton House
Blast Furnace

Adirondack Iron Works MacNaughton House and Blast Furnace, Tahawus, Newcomb, NY:

Unique in the U.S., the 1854, 70' high blast furnace has been abandoned since 1856. The 1830s MacNaughton House, the last remaining wood structure was abandoned since the 1960s and approaching total collapse. Stabilization of the MacNaughton House has been completed, as well as the first phase of stabilization of the furnace, including the priceless hot-blast stove. Partial funding for complete stabilization of the furnace has been secured. The MacNaughton House Stabilization received a 2008 Excellence in Preservation Award from the Preservation League of New York State.

(2005 - 2007, Client: The Open Space Institute)

 

Crown Point Lighthouse
Valcour Island Lighthouse

Crown Point & Valcour Island Lighthouses, Lake Champlain, NY:

Two separate assessments and concept plans for two historic lighthouses. The 1858 Crown Point lighthouse was transformed in 1912 into a granite Neo-Classical memorial to Samuel de Champlain, while remaining an active lighthouse. The 1912 exterior incorporates bronze sculptures by Auguste Rodin and important American sculptor C.A. Heber. Repair and conservation work encompassed the entire structure, including electronic security protection for the Rodin. Argus’ detailed assessment enabled DEC to execute the structure repairs directly with a restoration contractor. The 1874 Valcour Island (Bluff Point) structure is a lighthouse type, in the Second Empire style, that originated on Lake Champlain, and the light was recently reactivated. Repair and replacement for the deteriorated building envelope will be the focus of the rehabilitation project. Located on an uninhabited island, the lighthouse presents unusual construction challenges.

(2005, 2006, New York State Office of General Services/NYSDEC)

 

White Pines, Byrdcliffe Colony, Woodstock, NY

Master Plan for one of the most significant sites of the Arts & Crafts movement in America, started in 1902. The Plan encompasses the historic core of the Colony, with approximately 30 historic buildings, owned and operated by the Woodstock Guild of Artists. Scope of work includes survey, conditions assessments, conservation policy and actions, facilities use planning for program enhancement, budget, and identifying appropriate development opportunities within the historic context. (2006- 2007)

White Pines was the residence and studios of the founder of Byrdcliffe Colony, one of the most significant sites of the Arts & Crafts movement in America. Argus prepared a Conditions Assessment and Historic Structures Report for the 1903 White Pines complex of four buildings, followed by projects for structural stabilization, exterior rehabilitation, and site rehabilitation.

(1997 - current, The Woodstock Guild)

 

Gatelodge
Gate Lodge
Creamery
Creamery

Camp Santanoni, Newcomb, NY

Multiple projects for the National Historic Landmark site that is the only publicly owned Adirondack Great Camp. As lead consultant Argus, with Crawford & Stearns, developed the Conservation Plan for the 5-mile long historic area, as well as a Fire Protection Plan for the entire Camp . Argus also executed structural stabilization and exterior rehabilitation of the Gate Lodge and West Cottage, including stone masonry repair & rebuilding, roofing, siding, windows and site work. A stabilization project for two buildings at the Farm Complex has been designed but not yet executed.

(2003, 2006, 2007 - 2009, Adirondack Architectural Heritage, New York State Office of General Services/NYSDEC)

 

Main Lodge
Main Lodge
Dining Complex Roof
Dining Hall Complex

Sagamore Historic Adirondack Great Camp, Raquette Lake, NY

Argus has worked with Sagamore since 1989 to preserve, and upgrade the thirty building National Historic Landmark camp. The 1995 comprehensive Conservation and Facilities Plan Argus developed was updated in 2012 and continues to guide Sagamore. Other projects include, but are not limited to:
  • Exterior rehabilitation projects on the Dining Hall complex & Wigwam guest lodge, including roofing & restoration of bark
  • Complete rehabilitation, and addition, for the School House, restoring the vacant building to its original use as staff housing.
  • Complete rehabilitation of plumbing system and bathrooms in the Main Lodge
  • Roofing rehabilitation (repair/replacement) for 10 buildings.
  • Structural and exterior rehabilitation of the Horse Barn.
  • Measured drawings and detailed existing condition assessments of all structures
  • Historic Structures Report for the Guest complex and its fifteen buildings. The conservation work at Sagamore received an Adirondack Architectural Heritage Award for preservation in 1997.
(1989- current)

 

Town Hall, Town of Moriah, Port Henry, NY

Existing Condition Assessment & Historic Structure Report for an 1872 Second Empire structure on the National Register. Design for exterior restoration. Complete rehabilitation of the ornate slate and metal roof, as well as associated brick masonry and wood components.

(1997 - 2005, Town of Moriah)

 

Victoria Pool

Saratoga Spa State Park - Various Projects, Saratoga Springs, NY

Two projects for complete rehabilitation of the masonry and associated roofing, for the historic four building and arcades at the Victoria Pool Complex. The scope of work included conservation and rebuilidng of monumental limestone steps, repairs to limestone and brick masonry, exterior plaster, rebuilding of failed brick parapets, and lead coated copper and membrane roofing. Methods and specifications were also developed for cleaning the limestone of bio-growths, salts and other deposits, safely for both the stone and the (populated, wet) pool environment.

Analysis of the deterioration of limestone on the four long arcades of the Hall of Springs complex revealed a pathology of structural, faulty as-built detailing, and water -related problems. Analysis of one of the two types of limestone used also indicated a lower carbonate material particularly suseptible to salts and freeze-thaw damage. Argus developed a multi-year rehabilitation program, combining in-situ patching & Dutchman repairs, rebuilding, replacement, and mitigation of causes.

Roofing, brick, and stone restoration, restoration of doors, rebuilding the stone terrace, correction of drainage, and providing accessibility at the Hall of Springs North Entrance. To restore the entrance’s symmetry a new ramp on one side was balanced with a landscaped plot on the other side. Iron terrace railings were restored and complimentary railings designed for the new ramp

Analysis and testing at the Little Theater Portico determined that rising damp and previous treatment of the stone columns were the primary causes of deterioration. The remedies include rebuilding of the terrace to mitigate water infiltration and cleaning of the columns with a silicone digestant.

(1994-2005, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation)

 

Albany School District Historic Schools, Albany, NY

Evaluation of nine historic schools for condition, historic significance, and prognosis for rehabilitation according to educational standards of the Master Plan. Consultation to the Master Plan team for SHPO review, disposition and design strategies of the District's twelve historic schools. School 21 (shown), initially proposed to be demolished, was preserved and expanded as a new K-5 school.

(2001 ; Albany School district)

 

Lyon Mountain Railroad Station, Lyon Mountain, NY

Conditions Assessment of historic railroad station, proposed for use as a museum. Rehabilitation is being carried out by the non-for-profit owners.

(2001, Friends of Lyon Mountain)

   

Lake Placid Railroad Station, Lake Placid, NY:

Conditions Assessment and scoping of rehabilitation for shingle and stone 1906 D&H railroad station.

(1998, North Elba Historical Society)

   

Action Civill Academy, Coeymans, NY

Argus was the preservation design and technical consultant for conversion of the 1870s National Register former school to senior housing. Argus' scope of work included design consultation for both the exterior and interior, specifications, preparation of the Certified Rehabilitation application, and project coordination with the State Historic Preservation Office. The building presented complex problems of restoration of a wide variety of historic materials from masonry to slate roofing to cast iron and sheet metal components, and received a New York State Historic Preservation Award in 1997.

(1997, Taconic Capital Corporation)

 

The Iron Center, Port Henry, NY

The Iron Center, in the National Register listed former laboratory of the Witherbee Sherman Mining Company, and contiguous park interprets the extraordinary iron mining history of the Port Henry area. The seriously deteriorated laboratory was completely restored and rehabilitated, including slate roofing, masonry restoration, new mechanical and electrical systems, interior restoration, and the provision of access for disabled visitors. The project received an Adirondack Architectural Heritage Award in 1998.

(1997, Town of Moriah)

 

New York State Assembly Accessibility Plan, Albany, NY

Study and plan to achieve creative solutions for complete accessibility for the disabled to the historic Assembly Chamber and related spaces in the New York State Capitol. The Plan was adopted by the Assembly with implementation to take place in phases.

(1997)

 

North Elba Preservation Planning, Lake Placid, NY

Three related projects for documentation of, and protection strategies for, the cultural resources of the Town and Village

(Lake Placid-North Elba Historic Commission):

Town of North Elba Master Plan, Historic Preservation Component

Reconnaissance and intensive level survey, and preservation planning strategies for the Town, including the Village of Lake Placid and part of Saranac Lake.

(1991)

Lake Placid Main Street Historic Survey

Intensive level historic survey, assessment, and recommendations for the Main St. corridor.

(1990)

Lake Placid Club

Intensive level survey, assessment, and preservation recommendations for the Lake Placid Club estate, including approximately 70 buildings and sites.

(1989)

 

Adirondack Rock and River Guide Service Lodge, Keene, NY

Conversion and expansion of existing barn structure for use as guest lodge and climbing training facility.

(1990, Adirondack Rock and River Guide Service)

 

179 River Street, Troy, NY

Award-winning rehabilitation of a six-story 1869 National Register river front warehouse for new apartments and retail use. The complete Certified Rehabilitation included structural work, exterior restoration, and interior rehabilitation complete with new mechanical, electrical, and fire protection systems. The design preserved all the historic fabric and character of the building and was cited by the State Historic Preservation Office for its sensitive and creative solutions for inserting new interventions, including a six-story fire stair and interior partitions. The project received a Better Homes & Gardens Design Award in 1989.

(1988, 179 River Street Partners)

 

Francisco Terrace, Oak Park, IL

Reconstruction of an early Frank Lloyd Wright design for an apartment building - as 17 townhouses, utilizing terra cotta parts salvaged from the original building when it was doomed, including the Sullivan-like entry arch. The original exterior configuration and façade of the building were reconstructed from pre-demolition photos and one salvaged brick.

(Janet Null responsible for design development and construction documents for Harry Weese & Associates, Architects, Chicago, IL)

The recent photo, more than 30 years after, shows the durability of the conservation and reconstruction.